Thursday, October 30, 2008

Why I am doing this

As a graphic designer for almost 30 years, I've seen many changes in our field. The most radical being the transition from hand skills - paste-up, darkroom work, and cutting amber/rubylith. Twenty years ago, I made the switch to computer-based design.

Believe me - I would never go back to ruling ink lines or pasting up type galleys.

My attitude changed when a person asked me where I got a certain image that I used on a piece I had designed. Their reaction was one of shock and confusion when I said, "I drew that. Y'know - art?"

That is when I learned that for a lot of noobs to the field, actual drawing is an alien skill once practiced by artists now long dead.

To be fair, I've always been a doodler. I doodle in meetings, at church, on airplanes, restaurant napkins and in the margins of magazines. I do this because I am afraid that if I stop, I may lose the ability or desire.

I've gotten that way about writing letters or anything by hand.

With all this said - I will present some of my doodles and other visual stuff.